Jeju is renowned for its scenic coastlines and picturesque waterfalls which attract millions of tourists all year round. Among the most visited places is Cheonjiyeon Falls, one of the designated natural monuments of South Korea. It is 22m high and plunges into a pool of water 20m in depth.
Cheonjiyeon Falls (천지연 폭포) is located in the southern part of Jeju island near the coastal city of Seogwipo. The name Cheonjiyeon means “the pond where heaven and earth meet.” The source of Cheonjiyeon Waterfall is a spring that comes out of the floor of the Somban Stream. The stream Yeonhee-chun is the source of the waterfall.
After making payment at the ticket booth, walk along the well paved path that meanders amid tall trees and rare foliage that provide good shade even on a hot afternoon for a cool stroll to the waterfall. This is a scenic walk that passes a man made bridge and small rapids along a stream made by the flowing waters of the waterfall.
It is best to plan a visit in the evening before the sun sets and reach the waterfall before sundown. Take your time to soak in the serenity and sounds of the falls by which time the night illumination will give you another perspective of the waterfall.
Following are pictures that best describe the beauty of Cheonjiyeon Falls…
Adults 2,000 won
Children 1,000 won
Opening Hours: 7am to 11pm (last entry 10.10pm)
If you are driving use this telephone number for your GPS: 733-1528.
Parking is free. Being a popular tourist attraction the car park is huge and lined with many restaurants where you can plan a good meal before heading to the falls.
By Bus from Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal
– Take the bus 516 heading to Seogwipo (run from 6am to 9:40pm/12 min interval)
– Get off at the last stop and take a taxi to Cheonjiyeon waterfall (3-4 minute ride)
– Get off at Dongmun rotary stop and go to another bus stop to transfer to bus 1 (cross the ChungJeongro street and then Gyeongbangro street and walk along the Chungjeongro street for about 30m to bus stop)
– Take bus 1 bound for Cheonjiyeon and get off at the last stop.
For more information please visit: Korea Tourism Organization website
Affordable Accommodations in Jeju
Here are some recommended accommodations right in the heart of Seogwipo. These are in great locations with easy access to attractions in the Southern part of Jeju where all the major attractions are located.
1. The Island Blue Hotel, Jeju is a 4-star hotel right in the city center walking distance to great eateries.
2. Days Hotel Jeju Seogwipo Ocean – spacious and clean with valet parking facilities.
3. The Ocean Palace Hotel is a bit old but the rooms are huge and clean with recent renovation. Great location with views of the ocean from higher floors.